Re: Multi-person sponsorship

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:08:34AM +0000, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Matthew Palmer (mpalmer@debian.org) wrote:
> >2) Download tracking, both by count and "yes I'll upload this" via web
> >browser.  I'm still up in the air about whether there will be apt-getable
> >resources, or whether pre-built binary debs will be accessable.  I don't
> >particularly want to be a general "out of Debian" apt-get repository, there
> >are plenty of those - mentors.d.n being the closest match here.  What I want
> >to provide is a sponsorship resource.
>
> Maybe you could talk to the m.d.n guys about integrating download counters and than
> just use their repository. (After all, all you need is a ssh key.)

I was actually hoping that I'd get someone from m.d.n in the thread, but
perhaps they don't read d-mentors.  I'll probably contact them privately in
that case (although if you're reading, feel free to pipe up).

> >3) I'd like to have some form of "claiming" packages for analysis and
> Maybe you could just tag a date of claim on it. (Or maybe even just expire
> automacially after - say - 10 days.)

Timestamping was already on the cards, not sure whether to expire or not,
though.

> >4) Automatically removing packages once they've been uploaded seems to be a
> >general winner.
> Couldn't you just reference packages.d.o (or a local Packages/Sources file)?

Sorry, I don't understand this.  Are you suggesting that I scan an updated
Packages file for package versions, and if they've got appropriate versions,
remove them from the packages to sponsor list?  It'll probably be more
timely and less bandwidth intensive to track -changes...

> Maybe you could also reuse / build upon rene from the dak suite. (Maybe it's not

That's the problem with the FTP masters naming everything after women -
nobody else has the slightest idea of what does what... Certainly seems to
have the right idea, although I'm not planning on running an RDBMS to manage
this thing any time soon.  Thanks for the pointer though, I'm sure I'll be
able to pinch some ideas from there.  And I didn't know that auric had been
reopened, and had a copy of ftp-master, so I'm learning stuff left and right
here today.  <g>

> Also, maybe it's worth talking to mentors.d.n about it. After all, they're
> probably (interested in) doing this, too.

See comments above.  <g>

- Matt