Re: Multi-person sponsorship

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:57:55PM +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:

> The final question I'd like feedback on is this: how many sponsors
> would consider pointing their sponsees to this service, rather than
> whatever methods you're using now?  The benefits are that other
> sponsors might occasionally take a bit of your workload, and if you go
> on holidays / get sick / whatever, your sponsees aren't left to start
> from scratch.  Another benefit could be that "occasional" uploads
> (such as NMUs and whatnot) could be handled by a team, rather than by
> lots of indiscriminate begging on d-mentors and elsewhere.

I like the automatic build testing, but would like to stress that these
packages would still need installation and usage testing.

> The final step I'm planning on building into the system is a way for
> sponsors to get packages out of this queue system I've built so they
> can check them over and upload.  The problem is, I'm not sure how to
> do this optimally.  My constraints are:
>
> * Must be quick and simple to use.  Too much hassle will cause
> sponsors not to use the system due to excessive pain.

Could create an upload queue similar to Debian's current ftp uploads.  I
would check the upload to see if it's signed by a developer's key.  If
so, it could remove the package from your queue and forward the signed
upload on to Debian's upload queue.

> 2) Web.  Surprise!  Makes the tracking stuff harder (probably need to
> go to a login-based approach - yay, another password to
> remember/manage) but simplifies the package selection and downloads
> won't be quite so horrendous.  Easier for me to implement because it's
> what I get paid to write (webapps).

I would prefer this approach.

--
Jamin W. Collins

To be nobody but yourself when the whole world is trying it's best night
and day to make you everybody else is to fight the hardest battle any
human being will fight. -- E.E. Cummings