Re: Help with my program

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 11:07:25PM +0100, Nico Golde wrote:
> I am not sure if I am on the right mailing-list.
Probably right.

> I have written a binary clock for text mode.
> It is available on
> 	http://www.ngolde.de
>
> There is a debian package too.
> How can this program placed in the debian distribution?
First of all it has to be lintian and linda clean.
It means that these two utilities mustn't show errors about it (except
Standards Version, but it's not important now).

Take a look:
(fenio@domek)~$linda binclock_1.2.1-1_i386.deb
W: binclock; Description for package ends in a full stop.
E: binclock; No manual page for binary binclock.
(fenio@domek)~$

linda tells us that your small description ends with "."
It shouldn't, because it has to be descriptive phrase.
Then linda tells us that your binary doesn't have manual page. That's
definitely wrong, because all binaries must have own manual page in
Debian.

And now let's take a look and lintian output.
(fenio@domek)~$lintian binclock_1.2.1-1_i386.deb
E: binclock: binary-without-manpage binclock
W: binclock: copyright-lists-upstream-authors-with-dh_make-boilerplate
E: binclock: description-starts-with-package-name
W: binclock: description-synopsis-might-not-be-phrased-properly
E: binclock: spelling-error-in-description programm program
(fenio@domek)~$

1) Again info about missing manual page
2) You have left "Author(s)" in copyright file. How many authors?
   If it's only you then please remove (s).
3) Your description line starts with the name of the program. That's
   wrong. It'll be doubled in this way.
4) Once again info about superflowed "."
5) You have word "shure" in your package description. It's spelling mistake.

You should try also `lintian -i <package>` then you'll get more verbose
information.

> I read the documentation (maint-guide, developer-guide), but i am not
> really shure how it works.
> Can someone (a Maintainer) help me?
I'm not maintainer, but I have tried to help you ;)
Please fix these errors, and then please fill RFS (request for sponsor)
and send it here.

regards
fEnIo

--
      _     Bartosz Feński aka fEnIo | mailto:fenio@o2.pl | pgp:0x13fefc40
    _|_|_    32-050 Skawina - Głowackiego 3/15 - w. małopolskie - Polska