Re: Debian and Oracle

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 11:21:50PM +0100, Patrick Geschinski wrote:
> So my question is why doesnt't Oracle certify his product for Debian ?
> What's the obstacle ?

Oracle want the OS vendor to supply people, at the OS vendors' cost, to
staff the Oracle support center.  There are also lots of other things such
as verifying what, exactly, Oracle is certifying (we could do that with a
Debian stable release, but each new release would take another chunk of time
to verify) but the main thing is the problem of putting people in the Oracle
support center.  Debian can't afford that.

> In my opinion it is very, very important that big companies certify
> their products for debian.

Hand your opinion to Oracle, then.  It does no good here.

> Just in that way debian will get interesting for other big companies

Who's going to be the first?  Oracle won't certify until there's definite
demand, and there won't be any demand until Oracle certifies.

Stuff it, just use PostgreSQL.  <g>

- Matt