Re: shared libraries

* Justin Pryzby [Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:21:02 -0500]:

> By the way, what is /usr/lib/tls/, and why do all of my programs link
> to its libc.so?

  (TLS == Thread Local Storage.) I have minimal clue about all this
  stuff, but I believe the following statement is correct: the libc6
  package ships in /lib/tls a tls-enabled version of itself, which is
  necesary in order to use the NPTL implementation found in 2.6 kernels
  (NPTL == Native POSIX Thread Library).

  if you boot into a 2.4 kernel, you'll see that your programs no longer
  link to libraries in /lib/tls but in plain /lib (since there is no
  NPTL in 2.4 and thus no necessity of TLS).

  [corrections to the above very welcome. confirmation of its
  correctness too.]

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud: after a
while, you realize the pig is enjoying it.