Re: Package Maintainer Mentor Wanted

On Monday 06 December 2004 03.26, Ryan Stutsman wrote:
> I am interesting in getting involved with Debian likely by maintaining
> an orphaned package.  I don't have a particular one in mind, but I would
> like to get up to speed first.
>
> If anyone would be willing to show me the ropes and help me work toward
> Developer status that would be fantastic.

The mentors list is the best place.  Read it, post your questions here.

Of course, 'stupid' questions will make you look, well, stupid, so do your
research before posting questions.  Google is a great tool, of course, but
you find out most things if you start here:
 <http://www.debian.org/devel/>
especially read the New Maintainer's Guide, the Developers Reference and for
the nitty-gritty details, the Policy Manual.

Grab an orphaned package, look at old bugs that need help, whatever, start
working, and whenever a questions pops up, don't hesitate to ask here.

(In theory, debian-devel is also a good place to watch, but 90% of the
traffic is just stupid arguing these days, so perhaps you'll want to
postpone that until everybodys head has cooled down a bit.)

-- vbi

--
Available for key signing in Zürich and Basel, Switzerland
                    (what's this? Look at http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/intro)