config.sub, config.guess: Why in clean?

Hi,

I have question about handling of config.guess and config.sub in source
package.  I have read autotools-dev README.Debian.  So I understand these
need to be the latest ones whenever we compile the source.

So far, I undestood rationales behind this.

But why in clean target?  This makes large diff.gz with useless patch.
Why not at the start of config.status after dh_testdir (or include it to
dh_testdir.)?

Can anyone point me to where to find ratinale of this practice?

(At least when ever I build with dpkg-buildpackage, it runs clean first
so this cosmetic difference has no binary impact.)

Thanks in advance.

Osamu