Re: Need Sponsor

[Apologies for the duplicate if you're subscribed]

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 05:22:26PM +0530, Amit Dixit wrote:
>    Myself Amit Dixit Working as System Engg. at Hughes Softwares Ltd.
>
>    I want to join the Debian as Maintainer.
>
>    I need Sponsor for joing the Debian Developer's.
>
>    I have over 3.5 years of experience on Unix Platform (HP,Solaris, Linux).
>
>    I want to contribute to the the Debian Development in whatever possible ways
>    I can.
>
>    Please help me joining the same and guide me through the procedures.
>
>    Read all the documents for joining the Debian.

Have you read the debian-mentors FAQ at
http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html ?

Basically, it's unlikely that you'll get too many explicit requests from
people saying "here's something to do", in part because if you don't want to
do that, then the requester has wasted a fair chunk of time specifying a job
to you that you won't do, because there's no way to force you to do it
(unlike in a paying job).

A few places to look for things to do:

There's a list of packages which people have asked for help on in the WNPP
(Work Needing and Prospective Packages) list at http://bugs.debian.org/wnpp.
Search, in particular, for RFH -- Request For Help.  In particular, check
out my RFH on IRM for patch triage if you're a PHP type person.

There is a list of "special projects" that need help at the todo page,
http://www.debian.org/devel/todo.

There's also several other lists of things that need doing listed in the
FAQ.

In short, be proactive.  If you see something you don't like, *that* is what
you should get involved with.  If you can't work out how to get involved in
that area, ask here, and someone will help you to get involved.  But if
there's nothing in particular that irritates you, then I guess you get an OS
for nothing.  That's how I was for several years before participating in
Debian development.

- Matt