Re: searching sponsor for nfsv4-related packages

On Saturday, 23 Oct 2004, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> On Friday, 22 Oct 2004, you wrote:
> > I'm one of the developers on the Linux NFSv4 project, and am starting
> > to think about getting some of our userland support into Debian.  See,
> > for example, libnfsidmap, available from
> >
> > 	http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/
> >
> > Anyone interested?
>
> Asking the current maintainer of NFSv3-Software might be a good starting
> point. According to packages.debian.org Chip Salzenberg is responsible
> for nfs-common. I CCed him in this eMail.

Yep, it'd be great to work with him.  I've been trying to reach him for
the last month or so and not having any luck; does anyone else know some
other way of contacting him besides email to chip@debian.org?

Anyway, my suspicion is that he's busy, and that therefore it wouldn't
hurt to have someone else to help look over my packaging, if I can
interest anyone in it.

Perhaps I should give a brief advertisement for our work: NFSv4 adds
some highly desirable new features to NFS, including krb5-based
security, ACLs, and delegations (which allow clients to cache more
aggressively and in some cases to do opens, closes, and locks without any
communication with the server).

The security pieces in particular require some userland support.  One
such piece is a userland library to map between local uids and the names
that identify users on the wire--NFSv4 uses names of the form
user@dns_domain, unlike earlier versions which put uids on the wire.
A current libnfsidmap tarball is available from

http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/libnfsidmap/nfsidmap-0.5.tar.gz

The tarball is already set up to build a debian package.  (This is in
fact how I do my own testing, since all my test machines are running
Debian unstable.)

I think this is stuff a lot of people will be interested in trying out,
and Debian is already most of the way there--for example, recent 2.6
kernel image debs already have v4 support configured in.  The remaining
packaging needed won't be a lot of work, and I'll be excited to work on
it with whoever is interested!

--Bruce Fields