transitioning from conffile to ucf

I have a package here with a conffile in /etc. I now want to add
debconf abilities and convert the conffile to a debconf-managed
file. I would like to use ucf to provide policy-compliant
configuration file handling.

The problem I have is the package upgrade. dh_installdeb (which
I want to keep using) flags *all* files in /etc as conffiles and
provide no means to exclude patterns. Thus, in order to remove the
file from dpkg's custody, I have to actually *not* install it in the
new package. This causes the upgrade to delete the configuration
file, which is surely not what we want.

I see two solutions, and neither makes me happy:

  - save the conffile in the new preinst to /tmp and use it to seed
    the new conffile in the new postinst. The problem here is that
    I could potentially override a file in /tmp if I simply cp(1)'d
    the file there. Using mktemp(1) however is not an option because
    then the postinst does not know the filename.

  - script-edit debian/foo/DEBIAN/conffiles after dh_installdeb,
    letting the package install the file but not as a conffile. Now
    the package continues to own the file, but the responsibility of
    treating it properly across updates it completely mine.

The second seems to be the cleanest solution, but I am also not
happy with it. Is there another way?

`. `'`