Re: Gnome Menu Item for Debian Package

Ben Hill wrote:
You want to drop a .desktop file into /usr/share/applications. You can copy one from in there and edit it to suit your needs. :)

I've just searched and found an example.

My question therefore is; where do I place this .desktop file to be
installed by the package, and where do I place the icon to store that
into /usr/share/pixmaps? Is it an addition to the "rules" file?

I using CDBS, I came up with this:

binary-post-install/freeciv-cvs-client::
    mkdir -p debian/freeciv-cvs-client/usr/share/applications
    cp debian/freeciv-cvs-client.desktop \
        debian/freeciv-cvs-client/usr/share/applications/

    mkdir -p debian/freeciv-cvs-client/usr/share/pixmaps
    cp debian/civclient.xpm debian/freeciv-cvs-client/usr/share/pixmaps/
    uudecode debian/civclient.png.uu -o \
        debian/freeciv-cvs-client/usr/share/pixmaps/civclient.png

This will work in a normal debian/rules file, you just need to choose an appriate place to insert the rules.

--
Regards,

Sam Morris