Re: Problems with Provides/Replaces/Conflicts

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 02:52:59PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
>> Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:
>> > Does anybody have an idea why apt decides "Holding Back tetex-bin rather
>> > than change dvipdfm"?
>> It seems it's an apt bug; after I put the tetex stuff on hold and
>> dist-upgrade the rest, it works fine.
> It looks like tetex-bin obsoletes dvipdfm.  It should conflict, provide and
> replace it.

That's what it does, and since it does the problem occured. Was I
unclear in my first mail? Indeed when updating apt first the problem
vanishes, and I guess if I'd used dselect in the first place, it just
wouldn't have occurred (at least this is my impression from woody's
release notes).

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie