Re: RFH Re: conglomerate_0.7.14-2_powerpc.changes REJECTED

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 11:44:57AM -0600, Wesley J Landaker wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 August 2004 04:09, Geert Stappers wrote:
>
> > I'm surprised that your lintian procedures more information then
> > mine. According to packages.qa.debian.org is the most recent version
> > 1.23.2, I use that version also. The linda program does report also
> > the missing manpage, but not the permissions on directories warning.
> >
> > Which tool do I have to use to make these warnings visible?
>
> I don't know if this is related to what happened in this case, but often
> running lintian against the binary package (*.deb) will give different
> results than running lintian against the source package (*.dsc) and
> changes file (*.changes).
>
> I generally use
>
> $ lintian *.{deb,dsc,changes}

Lintian has three type of checks: source checks (dsc), binary checks
(deb) and udeb checks (udeb). While some checks share code, and some
problems are reported in both, most problems can only be detected in
either the binary, or the source.

Running lintian on a .changes file will simply run in on those files
named in it, it isn't needed to also seperately list the .deb and .dsc's
if they are already also in the .changes.

> for normal checking, or
>
> $ lintian -Iv *.{deb,dsc,changes}
>
> if I want it to be more verbose. =)

-v isn't very useful imho usually, but the two option you should
consider are indeed -I, for some checks we didn't dare to enable by
default, and -i, which will give you an explanation for each problem
detected, possible with a hint how to fix it.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl