version numbers in testing-proposed-updates (was: current specialities for NMUs)

Hi,

when we last had a freeze, I wasn't a DD yet, therefore this was new for
me:

Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> wrote in debian-devel:

> These packages are frozen, i.e. newer uploads to unstable won't go into
> testing. The official way is to upload also a package to testing. To upload
> a package to testing (or: testing-proposed-updates, this are just
> synonyms; tpu in short), it is necessary that the version number of the
> upload is smaller than the current installed package in unstable, and
> larger than the current installed package in testing. So, normally, you
> have to upload a package (directly or in whichever delayed you consider
> appropriate), and the version for testing in one more day delayed.

Will this also be valid for non-base/standard packages, once everything
is frozen?

What version numbers are usually used? If it's no a NMU, does one upload
an artificially high version number (debian revision of -50 or so) to
unstable, just to be sure not to run out of maintainer-upload version
numbers for testing-proposed-updates? Or is it normal to use NMU version
numbers even for maintainer uploads to testing-proposed-updates?

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie