Re: motion, 2.6, and v4l loopback device [WAS Re: motion - please do a sponsored upload for me (new revision with debconf fix)]

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 01:48:26AM +0200, Frederik Dannemare wrote:
> > BTW, what is the deal with motion and 2.6 kernels ? I am under the
> > understanding that it requires the videoloop or whatever module,
> > which is not only abandoned upstream, but also not yet ported to 2.6
> > kernels.
>
> I have been using motion and 2.6 without the v4l loopback device. I

Ok.

> don't know much about it, but I think it was initially developed for
> debugging motion in real-time or something like that.

I have been helping someone, who has a customer who is using linux with a set
of surveillance cameras. I think they use the vloopback device to have more
than one app access the video device, namely motion and then vlc for video
streaming server.

Friendly,

Sven Luther