Re: advice on site-specific modified .debs

I'm going to respond here and hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong or
if there's a better way.

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 10:52:42AM +0200, Alexander List wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am about to create site-specific debs, e.g. patched versions of official
> Debian packages with local add-ons (that don't make sense for upstream).
>
> So far, we were naming those packages:
>
> <companyname>-packagename
>
> This has the disadvantage that a lot of stuff in debian/rules etc. has to
> be changed (directory names below debian are <companyname>-packagename
> instead of packagename).
>
> Another possibility is to add the company name after the package name,
> including it in the version number, e.g. package-<company>-1.2.3-1.
This would be an improvement.  I think you could also increment the
epoch number.  This will ensure that your packages are higher priority.

> I want to assure that only the site-specific packages are use. What's the
> best way to achieve this? Apt-Pinning my local repository?
This is an interesting idea; instead of unstable/testing/stable pinning,
you could have company and stable, or whatever.  Then, you wouldn't need
to play with the package versions.

Cheers,
Justin