Re: Dependency problem

Hi Silke,

> My idea to solve the above problem has been to explicitly require at
> least the same version of libgdal1 that python-gdal has. So I put
> the following lines into debian/control:

That's the wrong way to do it. Just think someone else is using your
library (like qgis) and he will run into the exact same problem as you
with python-gdal.

To solve this, Debian uses "shlibs" files to specify the minimum required
version of a library for a program which is linked against your current
package.

See:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html#s-sharedlibs-shlibdeps

In your case, you would probably use this line in your rules:

dh_makeshlibs -V'libgdal1 (>= 1.2.1)'

Thanks,
Jochen