Re: simple cron packaging question

On Thu 08/05/04 17:35, Brian Sutherland wrote:
> As my first foray into debian packaging, I want to create a
> package that installs a cron job to be run daily.
>
> My approach is to install a simple script into /etc/cron.daily/
> that calls a more complex script which I install into /usr/bin/.
>
> Will this be compliant with the FHS?

It should only be under /usr/bin if it is also ment to be used by the
user as well. If not, I think /usr/lib/<program>/ is where it is
supposed to go.

The FHS can be found at: http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

> Make sure that if the package is uninstalled, the cron job is
> disabled?

I'd do something like:
# a bunch of lines for setting the command-line options or sourceing
# /etc/default/<packagename>
[ -f /usr/lib/<package>/scriptname ] && /usr/lib/<package>/scriptname

as the simple script and make /etc/cron.daily/<package> a conffile.

But, you might just want to:
$ apt-get source logrotate
to see how the pros do it.

| Josh Lauricha            | Ford, you're turning    |
| laurichj@bioinfo.ucr.edu | into a penguin. Stop    |
| Bioinformatics, UCR      | it                      |
| OpenPG:                                            |
|  4E7D 0FC0 DB6C E91D 4D7B C7F3 9BE9 8740 E4DC 6184 |