Some advice for a non-binary package

I have a project that I think would be useful, it uses debian as a
base.  It doesn't contain any binary code, only python and shell
scripts.  It's an easy to use cluster installer/maintainer.  It
excpects a kernel to be there, and I don't mind including one, similar
to the system-imager package, which ships with a binary kernel.

What I'm not sure about is the whole Makefile/source package relevance
for a package like this.

Just tell me what to do and I'll do it that way, no problem, it's my
first package, and hopefully it'll be cool and useful to others.