Re: where do scripts go?

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 01:15:55PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 05:56:05AM -0700, William Ballard wrote:
> > Where does this script belong?  /usr/bin, /var/lib/<package>,
> > /usr/share/<package> ?
>
> > This is probably in the policy but I missed it.
>
> See the FHS, which is included in policy by reference.

Do nonmodifiable perl scripts never intended to be directly launched by
the user count as "data" ?

My program will be called "tufiler", and will have the supporting
scripts demo.pl and tufiler.pl.  Demo.pl will just throw up a fake file
list and not actually move or rename any files, so people can get the
idea of what the program does.  tufiler.pl will be *my* idea of how to
file scanned papers, and there's a high liklihood people will want to
modify the logic.  I figured people would just make a copy and specify
the alternate perl script on the command line.

So I can do

(1) /usr/bin/tufiler-demo.pl /usr/bin/tufiler.pl
(2) /etc/tufiler/tufiler.pl, /usr/share/tufiler/demo.pl
(3) /usr/share/tufiler/tufiler.pl, /usr/share/tufiler/demo.pl

Remember, people will never run these scripts directly.  I guess maybe
they belong in /etc.