Re: RFS: bandwidthd - tracks network utilization per ip and draws graphs.

Hi Goswin!

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> skrev den Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:29:11 +0200:
Nice one. I would like to see this included.

Me too... ;)

I also have some feature suggestions (if its not yet possible):

Great!
Unfortunately bandwidthd isn't very configurable, which on the other hand is also good because it makes it really easy to use.

1. logarithmic scale for bandwith and time options

missing.

2. draw incoming positive and outgoing negative in the same graph or
   vice versa

missing.
I really like the idea though... I'll implement this "some day". ;)

3. stack the different protocols on top of each other

hmm..... isn't the current graph "stacked"?
a config option to make all protocols start from the bottom of the graph and an extra color for "total" might be good.
Currently the next protocol adds on top of the previous.
Although basing it from the ground up also requires intelligence on which protocol to put "in front" so they all show up and I guess quite some more code.... this isn't something I'm prepared to do with the package... on the other hand, nothing is stopping me from having a separate working tree where I do development against upstream. That will probably happen when the package require less time. (I currently have my hands full trying to learn debconf.)

4. draw line or bar graphs

missing.
Lines (you mean a line for the top right?) could be an easy solution to the "which protocol to put in front" problem that appears when starting all protocols from the baseline.

5. smoothing of the graph (e.g. each point is the average bandwith
   over the last hour while points are 10m apart, i.e. they overlap
   timewise)

missing.
I kind of like the edgy graphs, but smoothing shouldn't be very hard to implement as an option.....

6. draw multiple views of the same data in one graph (e.g. unsmooth as
   bars, 1h avg. and 1d avg as lines overlayed)

missing.

MfG
        Goswin

As you see there's not really much flexibility in bandwidthd today. On the other hand thats probably why so many people like it. Flexible graphs can be created with mrtg/rrd-tool/scripts or whatever combination. The problem with that is just that it usually takes up alot of time and I guess many people like me don't really want to spend alot of time on network graphs. It's only something nice to have if you can "get it for free".

I'll send your comments to David Hinkle (upstream) and also keep them around for a rainy day to try to implement myself..... Hopefully this will give him something to think about so he stops thinking that bandwidthd is "for the most
part to be stable and complete". ;P

Thanks for your comments!

Btw. If you are good at debconf and have a minute over to help me find out why the "config" script isn't getting triggered even though I've tried dh_installdebconf and manually copying the script and templates to tmp/DEBIAN/ please yell! :)

--
Regards,
Andreas Henriksson