Re: How to use reportbug from inside a chroot?

On 2004-07-06 Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:
> Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> schrieb:
> > On 2004-07-05 Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:
> >> while I use woody+backports on my working machine, I keep an up-to-date
> >> sid chroot for developping purposes. When reporting a bug I find in the
> >> chroot, I have to save it in a file and then rerun reportbug on woody,
> >> because I do not have an MTA installed in the chroot.
> > [...]
> > reportbug --smtphost=localhost

> And this works with exim (woody's exim) installed on localhost, without
> an smtp server?

woody's exim installs a smtp-listener on port 25 by means of inetd. So
unless you have disabled it manually, yes it will work.

$:prompt> { sleep 1 ; echo ehlo foo ; sleep 1 ; echo quit ; sleep 1;} \
 | telnet localhost smtp

*If* you have disabled the local smtp listener you'll need[1] to send
the mail to your usual smarthost or bugs.debian.org, either by setting
--smtphost accordingly or by installing and configuring a second
(mini)MTA (without listening on port 25) in the chroot.

               cu andreas
[1] You could install a queuing only exim in the chroot and share the
queue with the main exim-daemon by means of mount --bind and
localhost_number but that seems to be a rather strange solution. ;-)
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"