Re: RFS/RFC: ucon64 - Swiss Army Knife of emulation utilities

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 02:36:12AM -0600, Benjamin Cutler wrote:
>* Package name    : ucon64
>~  Version         : 1.9.8-4
>~  Upstream Author : NoisyB (Dirk) <noisyb@gmx.net>
>* URL             : http://ucon64.sourceforce.net/
>* License         : GPL
>~  Description     : Swiss Army Knife of emulation utilities
>
>~ ucon64 supports many operations helpful in organizing and manipulating
>~ ROM images, both in a collective and individual sense. Among the
>~ operations supported:
>
>~ * PPF/IPS/APS patching
>~ * Creation of images or carts through several popular backup devices
>~ * Renaming of directories of ROMs through use of checksums
>~ * Various image format conversions (eg SMC -> SFC -> FIG -> etc)
>~ * Various ROM header manipulation operations
>~ * Frontend for emulators
>~ * Far too many more to list here
>
>----
>
>My RFS for cc65[0][1] is still open (and seemingly stalled by its
>non-free-ness), but in the mean time I thought I'd toss this one out there
>as well. I've actually been using this util for over a year now, and somehow
>it didn't cross my mind all that time to think about a Debian package of it.
>(When I first got it, I was pretty new to Debian and wasn't even thinking
>about making my own packages yet...)
>
>Unlike cc65, this program is totally GPLed, and therefore a candidate for
>main. The package includes a few ROM checksum databases, useful for auditing
>a directory full of ROM images.
>
>The version on m.d.n[2][3] (available as ucon64 and ucon64-data) is
>currently version 1.9.8-4-0.1, and deliberately does not close the ITP[4].
>Reason being I consider this a 'beta' Debian package until it's looked over
>by others (hence the RFC). When I think it's ready to go into Debian, I'll
>bump the Debian revision to -1, remove the pre-1 versions from the
>changelog, and close the ITP.

You shouldn't use 1.9.8-4-0.1, it's a NMU version.

>Please download, comment, etc etc. :)

I run pbuilder on the debian source package. Pbuilder log file available
at [5].

Please fix all lintian errors/warnings:

lintian -i /var/cache/pbuilder/result/ucon64_1.9.8-4-0.1_i386.changes
W: ucon64 source: maintainer-upload-has-incorrect-version-number 1.9.8-4-0.1
N:
N:   A maintainer upload should have a Debian revision without dots.
N:   Revisions with dots are reserved for Non-Maintainer Uploads (NMU's),
N:   if you do a maintainer-upload with dots, a potential NMU'er has
N:   problems choosing a correct version number.
N:
E: ucon64: sharedobject-in-library-directory-not-actually-a-shlib usr/lib/libdiscmage.so
N:
N:   A shared object was identified in a library directory (i.e. a
N:   directory in the standard linker path) which doesn't have a SONAME.
N:   This is usually an error.
N:
N:   SONAMEs are set with something like gcc -Wl,-soname,libfoo.so.0, where
N:   0 is the major version of the library. If your package uses libtool,
N:   then libtool invoked with the right options should be doing this.
N:
W: ucon64: wrong-name-for-upstream-changelog usr/share/doc/ucon64/changes.html
N:
N:   If there is an upstream changelog file, it should usually be installed
N:   as /usr/share/doc/<pkg>/changelog.gz
N:
N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 12.7 for details.
N:

>[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/06/msg00238.html
>[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/07/msg00018.html
>[2] http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/u/ucon64/
>[3] http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/u/ucon64-data/
>[4] http://bugs.debian.org/257670

[5] http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~anibal/tmp/ucon64_1.9.8-4-0.1.log.gz

Regards,

Anibal Monsalve Salazar
--
 .''`.  Debian GNU/Linux      | Building 28C
: :' :  Free Operating System | Monash University VIC 3800, Australia