Re: [Pkg-firebird-general] Request for comments for ibwebadmin package

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 19:12, Remco Seesink wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for comments about my packaging of ibwebadmin.
> Testers are also welcome.

Hi Remco,

Technically I looked fine for me.  I have not tested it at runtime
though. In the non-technical part - I see troubles with the
copyright/licensing stuff.

1. Why do *you* add the exception that permits for linking w/ some
GPL-incompatible program
a) in a debian-specific diff?  The exception has to be granted by
upstream and they have to release a version that has this exception.
You must not add it yourself!
b) at the top of LICENSE file, which is otherwise pure GPL? This
exception seems to fit more into a file that would be called i.e.
COPYING, where the copying informations would be held and which
would contain the "exception" and reference to the pure GPL in LICENSE
file.

I saw you already contacted upstream about it, but *they* should release
a version that contains the new COPYING rules.

[ b) is not a must, but a) might necessary for such package to enter
the official archive IMO ]

2. I don't like the "No Nonsense Copyright and License for JSRS
JavaScript Remote Scripting".  It seems that debian-legal didn't like
it either.  Again you should try to contact upstream and explain
the problem.  Dual licensing w/ GPL (or LGPL) would be an option that
would also eliminate all problems mentioned in 1) by eliminating the
need for an exception.

HTH

				Grzegorz B. Prokopski