Re: Executing with root priviliges

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> writes:

Moin Goswin!
Goswin von Brederlow schrieb am Samstag, den 05. Juni 2004:

> So, my question is...is there, or should there be, some virtual
> package or system-wide or user-wide preference for gaining root
> priviliges under X11? What's the best current way to get this
> into the menu system with the least amount of pain for both
> the packager and the user?

Get all the root gaining mechanisms maintainers to sit together and
work out a common mechanism to register menu items that need root.

Some x-gain-root package that all mechanism and all root needing

There is already the script su-to-root in the current menu package which
does almost what you want - looking around and choosing a su-like
program.

Do you know if all the mentioned su-like programs mentioned are
supported?

Wow, I didn't even realize that 'menu' provided this script. A quick
glance reveals that 'su-to-root' tries the following in this order:

1. gksu
2. kdesu
3. an xterm prompting with su

I propose that 'su-to-root' look at a configuration file for a preferred
method, first in /etc and then in ~/ so users may specify their
preference. If people think this is a good idea, I'll place a wishlist
bug for 'menu' and a patch.

- David A. Riggs <riggs at csee dot wvu dot edu>