Re: release as a package or add to APT's file list?

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Jarno Elonen wrote:
> > ..and the said utility script looks like this:
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> > source /etc/upgrade-system.conf
> >
> > echo "Updating available package lists..."
> > apt-get -q=2 update
>
> Are you randomizing your start time?  Look at cron-apt for an example.
> Otherwise there is a high potential to cause a load spike and trigger
> failures.  [Note that $RANDOM is a bash'ism.]

The script is meant to be run manually, not put in a cron job.

> > echo -e "\nUpgrading installed packages..."
> > apt-get $UPGRADEOPTS
>
> Is UPGRADEOPTS upgrade?  Or dist-upgrade?  For 'testing' it would need
> to be dist-upgrade, of course.

It's a variable precisely to let the administrator choose for himself.

> To make this script run the same when run interactively as well as run
> from cron the following may be beneficial.  Or perhaps redirect the
> input 'exec </dev/null'.
>
>   export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive

Noted.

> I also set the following in my scripts.  But I have a huge pool of
> machines.  Getting the same mail from each and everyone of them is a
> D-DOS attack on me.  :-) I only mention it for those others like me
> with a large number of machines in a pool and trying to do automatic
> updates.
>
>   export DEBCONF_ADMIN_EMAIL=""

I simply file bugs against any package that insists upon mailing me something to
get around the verbosity I've set in debconf.

> Some more random thoughts without much thinking...
>
> In my own scripts I always set these options:
>
>   APT::Get::Remove "false";
>
> But by the use of deborphan above I know you don't want to disable
> removing packages.  But I do and it makes the process much safer.  But
> this next one you might want, at least the --force-confold part.  The
> replace missing config file one has raised a lot of debate in the
> past.
>
>   DPkg::Options {"--force-confmiss";"--force-confold"};

Interesting ideas.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/