apache config

Hello everyone ;)

I am maintaining a package that uses perl cgi with apache, and am trying
to figure out what the best way to add the apache configuration so that
It successfully deal with (apache, apache-ssl, apache-perl, apache2)

Is there a standard way of
   1 ensuring that cgi is enabled (that does apache2 as well)
   2 knowing which of the apache installations (it seems that I can have
apache and apache2 installed at the same time) are the active one
   3 know which is the correct htpasswd script to use to create users

pointers to documents would be greatly appreciated, though i'm surprised
that I even need to know about the differces

cheers

Sven