Re: Separating packages.

From: Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>
To: "n.v.t n.v.t" <joefso@hotmail.com>
CC: debian-mentors@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Separating packages.
Date: 05 Apr 2004 13:05:45 +0300

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 12:24, n.v.t n.v.t wrote:
> package-backgrounds
> package-icons
> package-examples
> package-name (which contains all of the above) Should I do this as a
> meta-package? How do I create a meta-package?

I don't think you need a meta package. I would do this to allow
flexibility and save space:

package
      * Contains all the files not in the other packages.
      * Depends on -backgrounds, -icons, and -examples (or only those
        required, you may want to leave out -examples from the
        dependency list).
package-backgrounds
      * Contains backgrounds.
      * May be installed separately (no dependencies).
package-icons
      * Contains icons.
      * May be installed separately (no dependencies).
package-examples
      * Contains examples.
      * Depends on package.

Aha, okay, this sounds okay.

Make sure the user gets the expected result when installing only one of
these.

> How do I handle dependencies of the icon's e.g? There is a Makefile in the
> directories that speaks of a view binaries. Should I create a separated
> section in the 'control' file? What do I put in the 'rules' file?

The control file should reflect the split you choose, by listing all the
packages and their dependencies according to your plan.

The rules file should build the package, and then split out the files
into the separate package directories.

For a simple example, you can look at the albatross package (in
unstable). It should be quite simple to follow. It's a python package
though, so there may be some things mandated by python policy that
doesn't apply to your package. Also, any other split package is a good
source of information.

What does the ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends} mean? I can't find the meaning of those in the debian policy either? Why not just put depends of the splited package in the depends line instead of this?

apt-get source and debhelper are your friends.

Cheers,

Joe
--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>