setting up a woody chroot for backporting (was: Re: [rebuild request] scsh for woody)

[Cc-ing debian-mentors, since that's were such a nice micro-howto
belongs, I guess.]

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 11:25:46PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Joost van Baal <joostvb-debian-ports-20040401-2@mdcc.cx> writes:
<snip>
> > I have very little experience with chroot-ed builds, but will spend some
> > more time investigating.
<snip>

> You can create a nice small chroot like this:
> (cdebootstrap installs less cruft then debootstrap)
>
> apt-get install cdebootstrap
> cdebootstrap woody /chroots/woody http://your.mirror/debian
> editor /chroots/woody/etc/apt/sources.list
> cp /etc/hosts /etc/resolv.conf /etc/sudoers /chroots/woody/etc
> mount -tproc proc /chroots/woody/proc
> mount --bind /dev /chroots/woody/dev
> chroot /chroots/woody
>   adduser foobar (you might want to use the same uid/group as the real system)
>   apt-get update
>   apt-get install build-essential devscripts fakeroot less sudo wget
>
> (devscripts, less, sudo, wget for convenience, fakeroot to build as user)
>
> Building can be done like this (or with pbuilder or umlbuilder):
>
> chroot /chroots/woody su - foobar
>   apt-get source bla / wget bla source, dpkg-source -x *dsc
>   cd bla*/
>   debuild -us -uc -B -m"Your name <your@email>"
> debsign -k<key id> /chroots/woody/home/foobar/bla*changes
>
> For cleanup I recommend using debfoster. Install it before the first
> build, run it and tell it to keep all files (keep y pressed). Then
> after each build you can run it and savely tell it to remove
> everything new (keep n pressed).

A, thanks a lot for this nice description.  I'll keep it for next time.

It's a pity one still needs root access for installing build-depends
packages, which also means help from debian-admin when building on
debian developer machines.  (We should all use GNU/Hurd :)

Bye,

Joost