Unicode conversion goals for Sarge (was Re: debian-changelog-file-uses-obsolete-national-charset)

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 March 2004 13.24, Frank Küster wrote:
>
> > Sie benötigen eine Passphrase, um den geheimen Schlüssel zu
> > entsperren. Benutzer: "Frank Küster <frank@debian.org>"
>
> Your key has a proper UTF-8 uid, doesn't it?
>
> Whemn understand this correctly, Martin-Eric says his key has a userid
> erroneusly encoded in some 8 bit character set. So he'd have to make a
> new userid. (Since the userid is specified to be in utf-8, iirc, this
> is what I'd suggest he should do - but this doesn't solve his other
> problems, of course)

Would recoding names in the GECOS data from /etc/passwd into UTF-8 solve it?
It currently reads (encoded in Latin-1):

q-funk:x:1000:1000:Martin-Éric Racine,,,:/home/q-funk:/bin/bash

If your answer to this is Yes, then I think that upgrading a distro to Sarge
should also offer to upgrade /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/groups to UTF-8.

Heck, if you ask me, Sarge should be known as the "we upgrade everyone to UTF-8"
Debian release. This would imply that absolutely every package to be released in
Sarge would know about legacy encodings for each locale and be able to recode
every config file, man page, etc. during the process of upgrading from Woody.

Comments on this proposal?

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/