Re: Development packages.

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 05:26:39PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
>* Roger Leigh (roger@whinlatter.uklinux.net) wrote:
>>I used a statically-linked binary just a few days ago.  I needed to
>>resize an NTFS partition on a newly-delivered system which came with
>>Windows XP.  In the event, I was able to get a statically linked
>>binary, copy it onto a floppy and run this after booting from a rescue
>>disk.
>>
>>So, it's very useful for rescue situations, where you can't rely on a
>>whole suite of shared libs, or any installation at all.
>
>Boot Knoppix or similar from a CD.  PCs today are more often installed
>with CDs than floppies anyway.  That's really a pretty poor reason.

I cannot use a Knoppix CD to rescue my 75 MHz Pentium machine with 16 MB
of RAM running debian stable to connect my home network to the internet.
I have to use a rescue floppy. Roger's case is a good reason, IMHO.

Other operating systems (e.g. Solaris) also provide stand alone programs
compiled with static libraries for exceptional cases where you don't
have access to the file systems where the shared libraries are located.

Anibal Monsalve Salazar
--
 .''`.  Debian GNU/Linux      | Building 28C
: :' :  Free Operating System | Monash University VIC 3800