updating gdal library

Hallo!

I am the maintainer of gdal and since a new upstream version is
available I want to build a new pacakge. Now I have the following
problems:

First I don't know how to fill the Depends for libgdal1-dev
correctly.
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html#AEN75
explains the following:

	"""
	The -dev package should depend on all -dev packages for libraries
	that the library package depends upon, with the specific (so)version
	that the library package is linked against. This includes libc-dev.
	"""

The problem for my package is that it depends on different
library-versions depending on the architecture it is built on. So I
would like to create those dev-dependencies automatically.
I tried d-devlibdeps (which is part of the  package d-shlibs) but
this didn't find a few of the necessary dev-packages:

----------------
mimirs gdal-1.2.0 522: d-devlibdeps debian/libgdal1-dev.substvar
debian/libgdal1/usr/lib/libgdal.so.1.2.0
 --> libc6-dev package exists.
devlibs error: There is no package matching [libcfitsio2-dev] and
noone provides it, please report bug to d-shlibs maintainer
devlibs error: There is no package matching [libdf4-dev] and noone
provides it, please report bug to d-shlibs maintainer
 --> libjpeg62-dev package exists.
devlibs error: There is no package matching [libmfhdf4-dev] and
noone provides it, please report bug to d-shlibs maintainer
devlibs error: There is no package matching [libodbc1-dev] and noone
provides it, please report bug to d-shlibs maintainer
 --> libpng12-0-dev is provided by a package.
devlibs error: There is no package matching [libpq3-dev] and noone
provides it, please report bug to d-shlibs maintainer
 --> libstdc++5-dev package exists.
 --> libungif4-dev package exists.
devlibs error: There is no package matching [libxerces-c21-dev] and
noone provides it, please report bug to d-shlibs maintainer
 --> zlib1g-dev package exists.
-----------------

Do you have any ideas?

The second questions is concerning the fields 'replaces',
'conflicts' etc. of libgdal1-dev. Currently they contain:

 Depends: libgdal1 (= 1.2.0-1)
 Suggests: libgdal-doc
 Conflicts: libgdal-dev, libgdal1 (<< 1.2.0-1)
 Replaces: libgdal1 (<< 1.2.0-1)
 Provides: libgdal-dev

Thus the  old libgdal1 will be removed and the current libgdal1
installed when libgdal1-dev is updated. Otherwise there are other
package that depend on special versions of libgdal1 i.e. gdal-bin.
Thus libgdal1 will not be removed by an update of libgdal1-dev. Do
have any suggestions how I can solve this conflict?

Many thanks,

	Silke

--
Silke Reimer