Howto use misc:Depends? [was Re: Should I recommend "less" if I use it in some scripts?]

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:03:58AM +0100, Michael Koch wrote:
> Am Montag, 22. März 2004 10:25 schrieb Number Six:
> > Some of the scripts I include with my package use "less" (as well as
> > "sed", "tr", and "grep").  I know for a fact "less" is not installed
> > by default.  (Not sure about this others).
> >
> > Should every little "ordinary" thing like less be included in my
> > Recommends?  It's surely not germane to the package, but if it's not
> > there, these little scripts will break.
>
> You need to depend on "less", a recommends seems not to be enough in
> your case. "coreutils" and "sedutils" are marked "essential" and can be
> exspected on the system.

Okay.  The dh-make generated control file has:
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}

shlibs:Depends is being populated properly, misc:Depends is currently
not being used:

dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${misc:Depends}

I would prefer to have "less" be picked up by misc:Depends, I guess,
rather than explicitly adding it to the Depends line.

How can I do that?  Or should I just remove misc:Depends and explicitly
add it?