Re: ITA with already removed packages

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:49:54PM +0100, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> > libming currently has two grave bugs, one of which indicates that it
> > needs source changes to make it work with the current PHP API.
>
> Unless you can address all of these (upstream presumed dead and the
> grave bugs), you should (IMHO) not reintroduce the package as lack of
> upstream does not enhance quality.

I asked Rasmus Lerdorf about php4-ming and libming, as he used them in his
presentation at linux.conf.au recently, and I was working on QAing them for
Debian (before they were unceremoniously removed, and I gave up).  He said
that he used libming upstream (which is, apparently, still maintained as far
as it needs to be) but a php.net PECL module, which (since it's in PHP) is
kept up-to-date with the PHP APIs.

Using PHP's ming module will necessitate splitting source packages, of
course, but that would solve (from memory) most of the reported problems.

- Matt