Re: Multi-person sponsorship

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:22:22AM +0100, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 February 2004 19.52, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> > Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > > Having a new-maintainer keyring, to which keys could get added by any
> > > AM after it has been verified, and checking the signature on the dsc
> > > files against it sounds good to. And the keyring would be usefull for
> > > other purposes too.
> >
> > Why not just check if the key is signed by a key in the debian keyring?
> > This could be done completely automatically.
>
> There are many people who got a signature by a DD's key who are not applying
> for DDship, probably never will, and who probably should not be able to
> upload to your queue. Getting a signature is just a confirmation of identity,
> after all.

Yeah, I'm not overly keen on the idea of automatically allowing anyone
signed by a DD to upload, but since a DD should be checking the upload
anyway, the problem isn't as nasty as it might seem.

I'm leaning towards the idea of a "sponsee keyring", containing NMs and
potential NMs.  The only requirement would be a stated desire to be a
maintainer and some sort of trust link into Debian (direct signature
probably not required).  Ideally, that'd eventually become a "your key must
be in here to be a sponsored maintainer" requirement, but that is *so* *far*
beyond what I've get any hope in hell of mandating, I'm not going within a
million miles of that.

- Matt