Re: Help packaging Synaptics TouchPad driver

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 03:19:04PM +0100, Mattia Dongili wrote:
> [I'm sending this message here as it seems that debian-x wasn't the most
> appropriate place]
>
> xfree86-driver-synaptics is an xserver-xfree86 driver that supports
> special features of synaptics touchpad devices (a pointing device).
[...]
> W: xfree86-driver-synaptics; Shared binary object
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/synaptics_drv.o has no dependancy information.
>  The binary object listed above is a shared object, but does not report
>  that it depends on any other shared libraries.
[...]

I think that is a false positive, as this is not a shared library, but
a plugin, i.e. it is subject to this part of policy:

| Shared object files (often .so files) that are not public libraries,
| that is, they are not meant to be linked to by third party executables
| (binaries of other packages), should be installed in subdirectories of
| the /usr/lib directory. Such files are exempt from the rules that
| govern ordinary shared libraries, except that they must not be
| installed executable and should be stripped.[51]

Checking the other files I have in my /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/ I
think the other warning is a false positive, too, as the other driver
modules are not stripped either.
             cu andreas