Re: Kopete Now Listening Plugin

Hi,

>> > - remove xmms from the dependency list and move it to suggests (which
>> > is not handled by apt)
>>
>> i think this would be the best option.

>my concern here, as I told Till, was that he would be shipping a package
>which would fail for some people right out of the box.
>
>Debian has long had a tradition that once a package was installed it was
>fully functioning.

I have the problem of wanting Kopete on my server (for remote X logins)
but definitely _not_ wanting xmms (or anything to do with sound output for
that matter).

I agree totally, however, that packages should be fully functional once
installed, but in my case, Kopete would be no less functional without xmms
:-)

In any case, Kopete would not be the first package to be non
fully-functional due to a "Recommended" package not being installed.

I would be happy if either of the following solutions were implemented:

1. Make xmms "Recommended" (as already suggested)

2. Split the Kopete package into two (or more packages): the base package,
and then separate packages for plugins that depend on major pieces of
external software (as yet there's only this "Now listening" plugin).

I think the latter would be the best option, personally.

Daniel Carter
(a slightly annoyed SysAdmin who doesn't want to install xmms)