Re: packaging ckermit: lots of questions

Frank Küster wrote:
> Ian Beckwith <ianb@nessie.mcc.ac.uk> schrieb:
>

>>As ckermit config files are executable via
>>
>>#!/usr/bin/kermit
>>
>>upstream suggests shipping with an executable config file and letting
>>the user run that if desired. This would mean a config file in
>>/usr/bin which is sure to violate policy and certainly feels
>>immoral. I suppose I could cop out and stick it in
>>/usr/share/doc/ckermit/examples.
>
> There's a lot of executable files under /etc:
> nearly 10%.

# find /etc/ -type f | wc -l
2108
# find /etc/ -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep '^#!/bin' | wc -l
101
# find /etc/ -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep '^#!/bin'  | grep
'^/etc/\(init.d\|cron.\)' | wc -l
46

Less than 5%, ~ half of that in init or cron.

But note also that the fhs specifically forbids binaries, not scripts.
Whether or not it is wise to have a script as config is another matter,
but in the present case that is a question for upstream, not the maintainer.

Cheers

T.