Re: dependency question

Al Stone wrote:
> The packages themselves are tools that run in
> user-space, collecting and analyzing performance
> data from a kernel module that must be loaded.

Why not create a shell script wrapper around the tool(s) that checks
that the module is loaded, or tries to load it if missing?  If this
fails you can inform the user that the tool is installed but a module
is missing.  You can then point them to your README.Debian which would
explain the necessity for the module and where to obtain it, etc...

> What say the mentors?  Should I force the dependencies?
> Should I gamble on the users knowing what to do (with
> proper README.Debian entries, of course)?

Since the application seems kind of specialized I would tend to trust
the user/admin to set up the box properly (cf. an FPS game), rather than
force them into installing stuff that might not be necessary.

Just my $0.02,
Joe