genchanges looks in .. even with dh_builddeb --destdir?

Hi all,

I am trying to package an internally used perl module for distribution
amongst servers. This works well. The package builds and installs fine.

The problem arises when I try to use the --destdir instruction with
dh_builddeb. I would like the package to be available in my repository
after building it, so it will be ready for distribution without having to
copy it manually.

These are the lines I use in debian/rules:

---
binary-indep:   checkroot build
        dh_clean
        dh_installdirs

        $(MAKE) pure_install PREFIX=$(prefix)

        dh_installdocs README

        dh_compress
        dh_fixperms

        dh_install

        dh_perl
        dh_installdeb
        dh_gencontrol
        dh_md5sums
        dh_builddeb --destdir=/root/perl/debian/
---

The program dh_builddeb seems to accept the --destdir instruction without
problems, but it seems dh_builddeb calls dpkg-genchanges with the
following result:

---
dh_installdocs README
dh_compress
dh_fixperms
dh_install
dh_perl
dh_installdeb
dh_gencontrol
dh_md5sums
dh_builddeb --destdir=/root/perl/debian/
dpkg-deb: building package `libbyte-dbi-perl' in `/root/perl/debian//libbyte-dbi-perl_2.0.2-1_all.deb'.
 dpkg-genchanges
dpkg-genchanges: including full source code in upload
dpkg-genchanges: failure: cannot open upload file
../libbyte-dbi-perl_2.0.2-1_all.deb for reading: No such file or directory
---

It seems that dpkg-genchanges tries to find the deb file that dh_builddeb
generates in /root/perl/debian, and is looking for it in the parent
directory instead of the directory I specified with --destdir.

Am I missing something here? I know dpkg-genchages looks in ../ by
default, but shouldn't dh_builddeb tell dpkg-genchanges to look in the
destdir? If not, how do I get dpkg-genchanges to look in the --destdir
directory?

The package gets built in the right spot, so it's not very important, but
the package doesn't get signed after genchanges fails...

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Allard Hoeve