Re: RFS: msmtp, wmnetload, wmwifi

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 20:26, Jess Mahan wrote:
>  I made a lot of changes to my packages (Thanks BTW for all the helpfull
>  comments from everyone.
>
>  Can you please check them out now, and see if I did it right this time?
>
>  deb http://digitalssg.net/debian/ stable main non-US
>  deb-src http://digitalssg.net/debian/ stable main non-US

piman@yanagi:~/projects/debian/msmtp% apt-get source msmtp
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Need to get 206kB of source archives.
Get:1 http://digitalssg.net stable/non-US msmtp 0.6.2-1 (dsc) [621B]
Err http://digitalssg.net stable/non-US msmtp 0.6.2-1 (tar)
  403 Forbidden
Get:2 http://digitalssg.net stable/non-US msmtp 0.6.2-1 (diff) [95.0kB]
Fetched 95.7kB in 3s (28.4kB/s)
Failed to fetch
http://digitalssg.net/debian/dists/stable/non-US/source/msmtp_0.6.2.orig.tar.gz  403 Forbidden
E: Failed to fetch some archives.

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 11:57:28AM -0600, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> > Okay, the URL is working for me now.
> >
> > On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 16:53, Jess Mahan wrote:
> > >  Hi, I would like to get a sponsor. I am new to sponsorship/manitaining although
> > >  I am not new to Debian or Linux. Debian is my favorite Linux distribution and
> > >  I am excited about contributing to it.
> > >
> > >  Below are the packages I am requesting sponsorship for:
> > >
> > >  msmtp (0.6.1 & 0.6.2 ) - An "SMTP plugin" for Mutt and probably other MUAs.
> >
> > - With your build-dependencies, the result is a binary linked against
> > OpenSSL. This is a violation of copyright to distribute, since the
> > OpenSSL license and GPL are not compatible. The source seems to have GNU
> > TLS support in it; you should make sure it uses that (via ./configure)
> > instead of OpenSSL.
> >

>   Unfortunatly, I cannot get it to build with gnutls3 on woddy, so
>   i created the package anyway, and made a non-US section on my
>   repository.

This isn't a US vs. non-US issue. Distributing a GPLd program linked to
OpenSSL is copyright infringement; it just plain can't be done without
permission from the upstream author(s). You could either talk to the
upstream authors (they'd probably be amenable to an exception to the GPL
for OpenSSL), but since it does have GNU TLS support, I personally
wouldn't recommend weakening the copyleft by using such an exception.

>   I did however get it to build and link under debian/testing with
>   lingnutls7.

Packages uploaded to the archive must be compiled against unstable. Your
sponsor (e.g. me) will be the person actually building it, but it's your
job to make sure that it works as such.
--
Joe Wreschnig <wres0003@umn.edu>