Re: dpkg-gencontrol breakage?

This one time, at band camp, Goswin von Brederlow said:
> Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm seeing this in a package I'm an uploader for:
> >
> > dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${misc:Depends}
> > dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${misc:Depends}
> > dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${F:Version}
> >
> > These are, to my knowledge, legitimate fields, no?  Is this known
> > breakage?  I looked at the bug reports for debhelper and dpkg, and I
> > don't see anything about this - am I just looking in the wrong place?
>
> Afaik that happens when there are unset, e.g. no libs to depend on
> whrere found.

Weeeell, I think that would be a bug - it should pass a null string,
rather than something unparseable, and I remember it used to.  This
looks to me like it actually has problems parsing the string - 'unknown
substitution variable' doesn't imply an unset variable, but a variable
name that is undefined.

Also, ${F:Version} should be expanded to the Version string from the
package named, and so should never be unset, right?

Ah, it looks like this may be the change:
dpkg (1.10.14) unstable; urgency=low

  * controllib.pl:
    * Rewrote the parsedep stuff, so that it wasn't done during control
      file parsing.  Scripts that need the internal parsed format should
      call parsedep on the field's value.
    * Split the substvars parsing into a separate function.
    * No longer validate dependency fields when reading the control file.
      Some fields may have vars in them, which breaks the validation.
    * dpkg-gencontrol calls substvars after parsing the control file, and
      then validates the substituted depends lines.  Originally,
      substitution occured only during writing of the final output file.

Have to go look at the actual source and file a bug, I guess.  I have a
hard time believing nobody's seen this before now, though.

|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |