Upgrade wmakerconf package to GTK+ 2.x?

Hi,

I recently adopted wmakerconf, which is based on GTK+ 1.2.  Upstream seems
to be MIA as far as I can tell.  (The home page no longer exists, and I
found the last upstream release, 2.9, from the windowmaker.org FTP site.)

Would it make sense to compile the Debian package against GTK+ 2.x instead
of 1.2 (making minor porting efforts when necessary), since 1.2 is rapidly
showing its age?  Or should I stay closer to upstream's last release?
I've already fixed several upstream bugs, updated the autotools scripts,
and converted it to use libWINGs instead of the deprecated libproplist.
But I don't know if I want to take over as upstream and make a whole new
release.

One other issue is that wmakerconf is incompatible with a few GTK+ 1.2
pixmap themes, since they use libpng10 but the WindowMaker libraries
against which wmakerconf is compiled use libpng12.  (See bug # 182586.)
Upgrading wmakerconf to GTK+ 2.x (which also uses libpng12) would solve
this problem.  On the other hand, of course, it would make Debian's
wmakerconf significantly altered from wmakerconf on other distributions.

Any advice is appreciated.
regards,

--
Kevin McCarty                Physics Department
kmccarty@princeton.edu       Princeton University