Re: backing up/replacing files from another package

Hi, Bob Proulx wrote:

> As packages are normally upgraded through the life of a system I train
> people to always say 'Y' to the replace a conffile question.  Sure
> this may leave the system in a generic and locally unworkable state.

So why not "N"? That may leave the package, at worst, in a "I can't find
a necessary setting and am going to crash" state, but the following call
to your sysconf program will wake it up right away.

On the other hand, "Y" will replace that file with a generic version. At
best the package does nothing, but at worst it'll have inconsistent
configuration and do some random things which aren't expected.

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf@smurf.noris.de
 - -