More IRAF stuff

I've actually managed to get past the HSI bootstrapping
process for my IRAF build.  It's going to be a little
tricky to figure out how to automate this for Debian,
though.  There's two nasty things that the standard
IRAF build requires:

1st) It wants a special user named "iraf" to be created to
do the administration and installation of IRAF.
Furthermore, the .cshrc and .login files for this user have
to be sourced to get the correct environment for building
IRAF, and the "install" script (which I think needs to be
run from "postinst" in Debian), checks for the existence of
this user.  If not found, I don't think it will complete
the installation.

2nd) I have to symlink or copy a few header files into
/usr/include.  Altering the "-I" flags for the C compiler
*doesn't* work, because the build requires IRAF's own
"libc" headers at certain points and then the system's
standard headers at other points.  For some reason, they
get searched correctly when these few headers are
copied into /usr/include, but not when I compile with
-I/usr/include.  Is there a way I can put these on the gcc
include search path without having to pollute a system
directory during the build (that will make the build
incompatible with fakeroot, too, won't it?).  Unfortunately,
I haven't done much with gcc -- I remember systems (well,
MS-DOS) on which you could do this sort of thing by having
an environment variable INCLUDE, but that doesn't seem
to have any effect with gcc.

Any advice on how to simulate those things using fakeroot
or the like?  Also, is debian-mentors where I should ask
this question?

TIA,
Terry