Re: backing up/replacing files from another package

Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> schrieb:

> * Frank Küster (frank@kuesterei.ch) [030901 11:20]:
>> Eric Winger <ewinger@keyww.com> schrieb:
>> > Can't I even "Depend" on a package and then fine tune its
>> > configuration though?
>>
>> Look at
>>
>> http://people.debian.org/~ajt/sarge_rc_policy.txt
>>
>> ,----
>> | 	Packages must not modify other packages' configuration files
>> | 	except by an agreed upon APIs (eg, a /usr/sbin/update-foo command).
>> `----
>
> IIRC did this thread start with the question about company packages to
> fine-tune debian. Such packages are not included in sarge, and there
> are certainly a lot of things that such packages can do that would be
> a RC bug for packages in sarge/main.

Oh, you're right. In this case "can" should be understood as "is it
possible", not as "am I allowed", as I did.

However, one should still keep in mind all the possible problems that
are reason for that "must not". If the original Debian package is
upgraded, care has to be taken by the system administrator that this is
not done automatically before he has investigated the situation. Maybe a
versioned Depends: with = instead of >= could help. But if the system
administrator has to look at the new Debian package anyway, why not get
the source and create one's own foo-local package?

Bye, Frank

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie