Re: Packaging buggy programs

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 06:30:26PM +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:

> I was wondering over this (partially hypothetical) question:
>
> If I find a program that contains quite a few bugs (causes crashing of the
> program, no external data loss), should it be packaged?
>
> The program I found contained too many bugs to be considered for packaging
> (IMO), but should, in general, someone wait until the program becomes
> stable within itself?

For unstable, if you are willing to support it, then I would say it is OK.
Supporting it means accepting bug reports and dealing with them (fixing or
forwarding), among other things.

For testing (and through testing, stable), others (such as the security
team) will need to support your package as well, so if you do not feel it is
in a releasable state, do not allow it to enter testing.

--
 - mdz