Packages with different build dirs than source dirs

Are there any packages that do this? In order to fully build gnu-crypto
successfully, I will need to be able to have a seperate build directory
than the source directory. I have been having trouble setting this up
properly in debian/rules however, and I was wondering if there were
any packages that do this that I could use as an example.

Morgon
--
"Man is the only creature capable of hating itself" -- Governor of Japan
in The End of Evangelion