Re: problems with upstream authors and the naming of perl modules

Kalle Kivimaa wrote:
> José Luis Tallón <jltallon@adv-solutions.net> writes:
>
>>It would probably be easier for th users if the name-mangling yielded
>>"libperl-curl-easy" or "libperl-www-curl" instead of the current one...
>>
>>...any reasons for doing it otherwise i have overlooked ?
>
> Debian Perl Policy is quite specific: Foo::Bar should be named
> libfoo-bar-perl. Likewise all Java libraries must be named
> libXXX-java.

But is a "should" clause imperative enough to override die library name?
IMHO (and I'm not a DD) people installing this manually will want a perl binding
of libcurl. (Note that I'd be arguing for libcurl-perl with an optional added
easy or www or something.) If you want to follow the spirit of perl policy you
might "Provide:" libwww-Whatwasit-perl to reflect the name hierachy. (Though
there might be policy constraints on "wildly" providing stuff.)

Cheers

T.