Re: Machine access for NM Applicants.

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 08:39:08AM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> Using "./configure -options ... || cat config.log" in debian/rules was
> suggested recently and could help a lot.

That's brilliant! And if configure works it doesn't even fill the build
logs with trash. Lovely. Done.

> BTW what package and bug are we talking about?

* kdirstat

* #189106: kdirstat_2.3.6-1(unstable/sparc): missing build-depends

	This is usually indicative of a missing build-depends on xutils
	(for xmkmf)...

	| Automatic build of kdirstat_2.3.6-1 on vore by sbuild/sparc 1.170
	| Build started at 20030415-0502
	[...]
	| checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X libraries. Please
	  check your installation and add the correct paths!
	| make: *** [config.status] Error 1

# #190007: FTBFS on s390

	the configure script failed since it derives from the existence
	of a /lib64 directory that it is being run on a 64 bit platform
	which is wrong. The same problem occured for the arts package
	and has been fixed recently by dropping the $kdelibsuff test in
	configure.

For the first I followed the suggestion, though I don't really like it.
The application itself doesn't need xmkmf, so it is annoying to have to
have it just for the configure. I also considered just removing the test
for X in configure since I would everything needed for the build should
be listed in or implied by the Build-Deps.

For the second I found a discussion on debian-s390(or something). The
consensus was to remove the test for the existance of /lib64 from
configure. This bugs me too. It seems not unlikely to break things for
the case it was meant for.

In either case, I wanted to test the changes before uploading. Also I
have another set of packages that are also KDE based and I am expecting
the same trouble with them.

Mike
mschacht@alumni.washington.edu